• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Note (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:06 pm Reply with quote

Astro Note (TV)

Source: Original

Demographic:

Animation Studio: Telecom Animation Film

Genres: comedy, romance, science fiction

Themes: aliens

Plot Summary: Takumi, a gifted chef, was just let go from his job. He lands a gig at an old boarding house called Astro-sou, but hesitates to accept after learning he must also live there full-time. That is until he meets the beautiful and charming caretaker, Mira, and he's sold. The two begin to work together, and their connection deepens. But Mira has a secret: she isn't from this world.

Air Date & Platform:
April 5, 2024 (Friday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, so far the new shows of the season have left me with strong positive or negative feelings, Astro Note is the first one I am lukewarm on. Astro looks good enough, it has some old anime charm and the goofy characters are okay. There is also the alien plot and judging by the robot duck(?) we might get some excitement. Despite all that it did not really hook me all that much though.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:22 pm Reply with quote
When the anime opened with that cartoony old fashioned American Saturday morning style art, I was a little taken aback. I thought, maybe one of the characters was watching the opening on TV...that it was a cartoon's cartoon or something. Then there was a drastic shift in art styles when the anime reached earth and there were some beautiful, bright backgrounds. Then there was another drastic shift in art style when the residents were introduced.

The two romantic leads look normal and realistically drawn, but the deadbeat bum looks like he belongs on that old Beavis and Butthead cartoon. The old man's skull is disproportionate in a different way, rounder and bigger than it should be. It's like watching two anime mashed together, and not in a happy Reese's Peanut butter and chocolate kind of way.

The tone also veers pretty wildly. Sometimes the comedy is...um...wacky I guess. Sometimes the romance is pretty straightforward. Sometimes this seems like a normal chef taking a part time job for room and board while looking for professional work slice of life.

It reminds me a little bit of that Delusional Monthly Mag first episode, which I quickly ran away from, but not as bad. I'm willing to give this 3 episodes. It had some energy, even it it seemed like a lurching, off kilter energy to me. It's cool to have at least one romantic anime on the slate, and A Condition Called Love isn't looking like a sure bet either.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the first episode since the series, to me, feels like a mix between Maison Ikkoku and Urusei Yatsura. It even goes as far as having the series protagonist, Takumi, living in room 5, the same room that Maison Ikkoku's main character, Godai lives in. There's also a couple of other nods to MI that I noticed as well.
zfunk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:51 pm Reply with quote
An original story anime, you don't see those everyday. So we don't know what will happen. I give the show for doing something different.

Having the audience in on a secret that the main character does not know is an un usual approach, though how long that will last, I don't know.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:57 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I really enjoyed the first episode since the series, to me, feels like a mix between Maison Ikkoku and Urusei Yatsura. It even goes as far as having the series protagonist, Takumi, living in room 5, the same room that Maison Ikkoku's main character, Godai lives in. There's also a couple of other nods to MI that I noticed as well.

Thanks for the reference Beltane. I had to do some serious surfing to track that anime down, but I liked the first episode though I found the tenants seriously obnoxious while the MC was trying to study. There are definitely parallels, even down to the grumpy white dog.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

That was kind of fun. I'm not entirely sold yet, but the start did enough to give it the ole 3 episode test. Looks like the "poodle" is gonna be quite the wangblocker for MC trying to score some of that sweet, sweet alien puddy.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Thanks for the reference Beltane. I had to do some serious surfing to track that anime down, but I liked the first episode though I found the tenants seriously obnoxious while the MC was trying to study. There are definitely parallels, even down to the grumpy white dog.

Glad you liked the first episode of Maison Ikkoku, Edjwald! It’s one of my favorite anime, and in my opinion, Rumiko Takahashi’s best work and one of her few titles with a proper ending.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:13 am Reply with quote
I really did like it. I don't have time to binge it right now, so I'm planning on watching it side by side with Astro Note one episode a week.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm liking this, so far mainly for the side characters.

Right now I'm waiting to find out who the long-haired character is in the kitchen during the welcoming party, about 15:47.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:36 am Reply with quote
After episode 2 I still think that it is a solid show, nothing too bad or too good. I like how chaotic it gets with rival alien robots and one heck of a misunderstanding in regards to marriage, divorce or fiance. The latter seems like he will add even more spice to the mix and I am starting to wonder if that key is even a real thing.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:53 am Reply with quote
I fell into the groove with this show a bit more in episode 2. The not-really-a-dog is becoming one of my favorite characters, at least for comedy purposes, and with all the weirdness going on, I stopped noticing the different character art styles. Enjoyed it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I'm finding this incredibly friggin' solid and enjoyable. I actually want the two leads to get together which is always nice in a rom-com.

Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
Right now I'm waiting to find out who the long-haired character is in the kitchen during the welcoming party, about 15:47.

Why it's Sadako! But good eye, I didn't notice her at all and it took me a bit of time to see what you were talking about even with the time cue. Did anybody notice if she popped up in episode 2? I don't feel like doing a Where's Waldo-esque rewatch. But I'm willing to bet she's the salmon thief.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:55 am Reply with quote
She did appear in episode 2, though I've already forgotten exactly at what point it was. I think we can count on her showing up once per episode, and I for one hope that it is never explained.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Now you got me looking. I found at least one. 11:41, hiding behind the pillar at the shrine. The fade gave it away. There is the other character in the cedits who has short dark hair, who seems to be a young girl who likes Takumi, I doubt that's her. She/it probably is just an Easter Egg. Also look about 25 seconds into the OP, after Takumi is tossing everyone in the wok and Mira looks dreamy about it, the scene shifts with a mass of long black hair.

Also thought it was good on Mira to recognize the apparent importance of the Umoshi (that was pretty blatant clue in the first episode), but embarrassing that she seems to have forgotten it after her hangover.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3