• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tsukimichi -Moonlit Fantasy- (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:18 am Reply with quote
A bit of a calm episode this week, mostly training/teaching and slowly getting closer to the organisation. With slowly I mean very slowly, since they have not made much progress, though that one teacher did get taken care of.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I've grown fond enough of the class - and again, that has a bit to do with the Rembrandt sisters being added to the mix - that I'm willing to accept their growth as a substitute settlement development plotline, so this episode was all good.

I have to say, this has been a pretty good season for sequels. Class of the Elite, Moonlit Fantasy, Banished from the Hero's Party, and Low Tier Character Tomazaki have all been enjoyably solid as far as I'm concerned. Maintaining the tone, moving the plot along but not rushing it, and keeping the things that I liked about the characters consistent without sacrificing them to the dark plot gods.
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:08 pm Reply with quote
A pretty good showing on animation this week for a JC production. A few good sets of camera work to make the effects feel good and timed.

There was a subplot about spying and Shiki surveiling Rona that got cut. It had a nice punchline when the anti eavesdropping tech they had wanted to steal from the demons ended up being given to Makoto by Rona in the end. As she wanted to give him a secret way to contact the demons to act against shiki.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I loved this week's episode. Not only did we have plenty of fun and developments in the demi-plane, but the already overpowered Makoto used the knowledge he gained to reach an even higher level of power. The slime power suit looks a bit questionable though.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:25 pm Reply with quote
It was enjoyable. I always like seeing Tomoe and Mio reappear, and the demiplane is a a fun place. It feels like this season is going to leave a lot of things unresolved though, unless it's a 25 episode season or the next episode is on crack.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
It was enjoyable. I always like seeing Tomoe and Mio reappear, and the demiplane is a a fun place. It feels like this season is going to leave a lot of things unresolved though, unless it's a 25 episode season or the next episode is on crack.

It is indeed a 25 episode season, so plenty more to come.
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:42 pm Reply with quote
While it certainly has a feel for being a cliff notes version of events, it still managed to be amusing and enjoyable. Now that we are past the manga I cant see all the skipped material past understanding that it feels like much more detail would of been present.

And since the anime wants to concentrate on battles, jumping to a demonstration of skills to summarise progress in the demi plane is an effective way of keeping it action orientated and swift paced.

I am curious about the observer at the end of the episode. So far no one has been able to enter the demi-plane without permission outside of Mio. And one of the skipped elements explained how if Makoto bars entry not even Tomoe can enter (being locked to her old absent of anything demi plane) I guess that would mean either the intruder was born of Makoto starting to use focus again and expanding the demi-plane or someone infiltrating past the mirage cities guards. Which would be a feat unto itself.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:30 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
.It is indeed a 25 episode season, so plenty more to come.

That's awesome!
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:09 pm Reply with quote
A fair bit of set up this week. There were new allies (I kind of expected the bear and wolf to be big enemies for an episode or two to be honest) and some progress with the slaying of a lot of dragons by both Makoto and his student group (they showed off some pretty impressive magic). As for miss dragon slayer, seems like the dasterdly duo is back in the picture.
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:22 pm Reply with quote
JC seem to be putting a lot of effort into recent battles as opposed to the skirmishes that happened during the teaching and mio cooking arc. Pleasantly surprised they arnt treating this show like a lot of other low budget JC efforts. I guess the project and directorial team that came over to continue the series at the new studio has enough pull to get resources.

As for the episodes plot, I doubt they had time to make much more of the wolf and bear plot. The series definitely wants to go to major events of the novels, its just the source is very long winded and much more slow life adventure.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:45 am Reply with quote
To me, the biggest takeaway from this episode was the idea that Makato's demi-plane is more complicated than it seems. Not that it was all that simple to begin with. I've been thinking of it as a place where a kind of formless dimension took form because of Makato's subconscious imagination and vast pool of mana. I knew that it was a kind of pocket universe that only he had access to and didn't sweat the details. But it sounds like Makato's demi plane is rubbing against other places and the borders are fraying.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:05 am Reply with quote
We got a bit of that this week's episode too. Judging from the episode and the OP it seems like the festival and the fallout from that will be the big event of the second cour though. Things look fun and dandy so far (besides cleaning up some assassins), but a lot of forces seem to be gathering in the city and the OP shows one big festival of battle. The church is also corrupt.......how shocking, truly.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:03 am Reply with quote
Nobles plotting the episode this week. The mc and his gang have the raw power to pretty much take care of anyone and it may come to that seeing as how they are being harassed from every side. The real question at this point is who is going to start an attack first.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Now that Tomoe and Mio have integrated into the school setting via the trading house, I'm enjoying the second course of season 2 more than the first, and I liked the first half just fine.

And yah, they do seem to be cranking up the tension one notch at a time in preparation for some OP butt kicking. The only thing is, I've gone from wishing they'd get the school arc over with to hoping they won't burn all their bridges at the academy now.
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:08 pm Reply with quote
The one thing the series has always reinforced is that noble society is corrupt and often depraved. And while we only saw his interactions with Laurel I am sure he had to deal with such among many of the interested parties. Plus his experiences with the hyuman supremacy of the goddess followers and the ability supremacy of the anti goddess cult.

Makoto seems fit to burst.

I liked having Tomoe visit the students through the festival activities and I am sure she is keen to appraise what has taken so much of her masters time away from the demi plane.

Laurel interests me most as this is the first time the anime has not skipped politicking and inferred matter behind the veneer people present themselves with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5