• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tsukimichi -Moonlit Fantasy- (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Quickly establishing the stakes of shady stuff going on in the Academy town while skipping the subterfuge. It makes for a more snappy experience jumping between major plot points. Was curious that they made out Rona's illusion magic is some kind of eye magic in the anime, instead of a sensory based illusion. Well it makes for an effective short hand.

The most thing I am curious about was the complete absence of Makoto asking about the Demons recruiting Hyumans from the factions in the academy town. And it being the experimentation of people that caused the demons to drop the idea of interacting with members of that faction. (Specifically avoiding naming the faction in case the anime wants to name them in a future episode).
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:09 am Reply with quote
They may have cut out some of the fat, but the whole still feels fairly complete and easy enough to follow. Compared to say the newest season of shield hero it all feels organic and not like things are just happening out of nowhere. Besides the hero exclusive episodes I am also not at all bored, both the class and sentlement are indeed fun.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:10 pm Reply with quote
An info dump episode this week, a rather interesting one with a set-up for how the story will continue (I assume that Makato will eventually become god like enough to indeed travel between worlds). Seems like the short term goal is getting rid of the evil organisation, but there are also the heroes and the war against the demons to deal with, staying neutral is easier said than done in regards to that.
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:27 pm Reply with quote
You wouldn't believe the amount of information we just skipped. Basically summarised a year of the manga.

On the positive side there is only 1-2 chapters of manga left before we are entirely in Light Novel / Web Novel territory. So I will no longer be able to see all the info left by the wayside.

I kinda feel sorry for the Aensland sisters getting their back story cut down to 1 paragraph. No story cannot be made swift by removing people having agenda's and finding out about things and instead having Makoto be dumbfounded as people tell him the cliff notes.

It IS a hell of a lot of an info dump, the anime clearly wants to get through the quiet middle ground the manga has been in for 2 years after the sophia fight straight to more impactful things. Like instead of Root (Luto) coming onto Makoto, and having a back and forth with Tomoe she is saying I want to be a servant with every second sentence. Something she has not even mentioned yet in the same time period of the original work.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:17 am Reply with quote
Welp, I had a long day at work yesterday. I tried to watch this anime's latest episode, and about four minutes into sketchy dragon-san's...lecture? proposal? Whatever it was, I blinked, and when I opened my eyes, I realized that I'd fallen asleep for about an hour. I don't know how much of that was the long day and how much was information overload,, so I'll try again later.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:13 am Reply with quote
I guess that counts as a transgender character. A little disappointing that it had to go along with a bit of homophobia.

I suppose it says something that I can totally understand the switching of genders of the ancient dragon, and the thing I don't understand is the main character I guess getting violently angry at a genderfluid character saying they could seduce me in any gender. But I suppose it isn't really strange for anime, at least not having a gender switching character in general.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:56 am Reply with quote
I rewatched the last part of the show, and I didn't miss as much of it as I thought. From what I gather, there's going to be a huge fustercluck of different factions, and Makato is going to have to become a lot more powerful just to survive, much less bridge this time discrepancy issue between worlds.

Not a bad episode, but in a way, with all that summarizing and foreshadowing, it felt a bit like a season finale.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:53 am Reply with quote
Well, if Makoto learns more about magic and how to wield it properly, plus if trains up some other things there will not be that many opponents he has to fear. Remember, with his rings off he can wipe out an entire area with easy, he just has to learn how to handle so much juice.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, I'd forgotten about the rings. For some reason, I just pictured Midoriya going full 100 percent and pulverizing half the bones in his body.

BTW - I thought Mikoto gently covering up Mio seemed like some symbolism at work considering Tomoe was wondering if Mikoto would abandon them for his own world around the same time.
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:39 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I guess that counts as a transgender character. A little disappointing that it had to go along with a bit of homophobia.

I suppose it says something that I can totally understand the switching of genders of the ancient dragon, and the thing I don't understand is the main character I guess getting violently angry at a genderfluid character saying they could seduce me in any gender. But I suppose it isn't really strange for anime, at least not having a gender switching character in general.

So your problem is the angry reaction that Tomoe and Mio had to Root with Makoto joining in to chase her away? Surely not the awkward interest Makoto showed before when she was describing her explorations of different sexualities? Or is it just that Root as a superior dragon was depicted as aggressive in sexuality while also being gender fluid.

If anything I think it was fair enough how they reacted given Makoto is extremely prudish, even rejecting those he finds most attractive in the human world. Its not progressive or anything but it is accepting of how fluid she is. She is just a sex pest as a matter of character, somewhat similar to her first Human mate (I guess that was skipped as well). Root the perverted dragon.

If only they had included the whole discussion between Tomoe and Root, you might feel differently. As it touches on comparisons between the different earth origin people, why Root is attracted to Makoto and Tomoe and Makoto's relationship.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
So your problem is the angry reaction that Tomoe and Mio had to Root with Makoto joining in to chase her away? Surely not the awkward interest Makoto showed before when she was describing her explorations of different sexualities? Or is it just that Root as a superior dragon was depicted as aggressive in sexuality while also being gender fluid.

If anything I think it was fair enough how they reacted given Makoto is extremely prudish, even rejecting those he finds most attractive in the human world. Its not progressive or anything but it is accepting of how fluid she is. She is just a sex pest as a matter of character, somewhat similar to her first Human mate (I guess that was skipped as well). Root the perverted dragon.

If only they had included the whole discussion between Tomoe and Root, you might feel differently. As it touches on comparisons between the different earth origin people, why Root is attracted to Makoto and Tomoe and Makoto's relationship.

Why did you keep using "she" referring to Root? Clearly they are currently identifying as male, and otherwise the argument is that their gender is fluid, so one might use neutral pronouns.

My actual is that Makoto's reaction seems more violent to the idea of being seduced by (sometimes) male character, following the confusion of someone getting sick of their regularly assigned gender. The differences might not seem apparent, but there is some implicit othering and fear of like the only queer character that I remember in this show.

It could be easy for a lot of people just to write them off as sex pest, and that it is only aex pests as a group being targeted. But from my view it is the only queer character being marked as a sex pest, and I do think the reaction looked a bit excessive. Simply flirting shouldn't be met with agreements to fight against and probably. As also a genderfluid person, it doesn't exactly make me feel good.

I am not even really surprised or think it is something special in this anime, just disappointed. The chaste harem lead that reacts to fear to all sexuality is also super boring. And that archetype still tends to be heteronormative, if there isn't actually going to be anything anyway, I don't see why insert main characters have to make it so clear they are just strictly straight. If their character is mostly insert good person, what do we get out of them needing to make it so clear that they are more against advances from the same gender?
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:58 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Why did you keep using "she" referring to Root? Clearly they are currently identifying as male, and otherwise the argument is that their gender is fluid, so one might use neutral pronouns.

Because Root keeps having feminine aspects and because of what Root said that was cut. It is how most people regard her in the fandom. Root is fluid yes, but fluid magically, capable of changing at will like how she offered to change for Makoto's first time. One bit of info I guess I can share with little spoilers is, Root is the origin mother of the other superior dragons on the planet. Root as in origin.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Because Root keeps having feminine aspects and because of what Root said that was cut. It is how most people regard her in the fandom. Root is fluid yes, but fluid magically, capable of changing at will like how she offered to change for Makoto's first time. One bit of info I guess I can share with little spoilers is, Root is the origin mother of the other superior dragons on the planet. Root as in origin.

I still cannot see why you are using female pronouns. What does it matter that they keep some feminine aspects when as a male gender, or they are a mother? Nor that one is magically fluid? A lot of us genderfluid would love the ability to magically alter our bodies to fit a gender, but the ability to do so or not wouldn't make someone or character less genderfluid. The argument is that someone could stay the same gender despite shifting their sex, not every shapeshifter is genderfluid, but I didn't see something that pointed this was the case yet.
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:42 am Reply with quote
I think you may be hoping for far more with Root then you will get. Its not a character where you will get the nuances of gender fluidity. First and foremost she / they is the pervert dragon. Its a somewhat tasteless joke but the over reacting to the sex pest is a very common Japanese joke.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:17 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
I think you may be hoping for far more with Root then you will get. Its not a character where you will get the nuances of gender fluidity. First and foremost she / they is the pervert dragon. Its a somewhat tasteless joke but the over reacting to the sex pest is a very common Japanese joke.

I don't know where I said that I expected a nuanced representation of gender fluidity. I already said that I thought that there were aspects that homophobic/transphobic, it is pretty normal that this usually follows some level of non-nuanced representation.

I can recall another show of similar category that had a feminine male character which most their character was about wanting people to do it up their butt. Which was hardly a nuanced representation of whatever they could have been perceived as, whether a femboy, trans girl gay guy, or sexually promiscuous. It doesn't mean that I shouldn't get to talk about the character, or even actually disliked the character.

If I was supposed to hold my tongue and only talk about good nuanced representations of queer characters, I am barely ever going to find such a character to do so. And all the same these sorts of characters are great to parse out how through Japanese media people may see someone who is queer, a character who breaks acceptance of the gender binary.

As it stands, I am super okay with a "pervert dragon", as it stands they are strong and certainly nice on the eyes, which is an improvements of certain depictions. I don't think it is too off to make some comparisons to say Final Fantasy VII, which back in the 90s had some rather unfortunate depictions of queer characters as being seedy. Following that up with the fairly recent Final Fantasy VII Remake, which much more celebrated, removing the predatory aspects, made a queer character feel powerful, and I would say turning the crossdressing to a joke to empowering.

Sexuality itself does have a certain connection to queerness. For some it simply has been portraying queer people as sexual perverts. As opposed to my understanding that a lot of the time queer people miss out on the healthy sexuality and expression stuff that comes with puberty, and so have experience it as an adult, which creates unfortunate associations with the cis-straights. I would put some level of guesses this might have some level of influence on a presumably cis-straight author deciding to write an old dragon that apparently decided that they were sick of their previous gender, and as you said gets interpreted as a sex pest. Could the creator have seen something pointed a trans person who transitioned later in life as generally a pervert?

It can be seen that I have probably talked way too much about this really small part that will generally mean nothing for the vast majority of viewers, nor really the story as a whole. I similarly once talked a lot about a scene that was generally just a joke about Hideri from Blend-S almost using a female public toilet, what that meant for their gender/presentation. But these things are indicative of general trends of this medium I consume a lot of, and the chances that I could actually feel represented in and enjoy more. It could mean more acceptance, or someone even coming to a realisation that they don't have to be an ancient shapeshifting dragon for it to be their true self.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5