• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Flip Flappers (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote

Flip Flappers (TV)

Genres: Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy
Themes: Magical girl

Plot Summary: Papika and Cocona, the heroines of the story, hold the keys to open the door. When the two girls meet, their adventures in a different time and different overlapping dimension called "Pure Illusion" begin. Many things in Pure Illusion will stand in the girls' way on their search for the mysterious crystals called the "Shards of Mimi," items that are said to grant any wish. However, when the girls find themselves in danger, the Shards of Mimi shine, and they are able to transform.
----------------------------------
See the PV here:

https://youtu.be/49M_l9OR8-c
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

How show not coming from Gainax or Trigger? Instead it is from Studio 3Hz which has only done Dimension W and Celestial Method, those shows are not much like this zany yet thoughtful show. Simply put, I think that this is my favourite show this season so far based on the first episode. It feels like it has taken some parts I love from other things and put them together. Some of the shots of the mundane town looked like Little WItch Academia, the big action shots seem just like the style of Kill la Kill, in general it felt a little like some creative episodes of Space Dandy, but some parts also felt a little Kiznaiver. The ED I love, it reminded me a little of the one from Humanity is in Decline, but with a more classic fairy tale design I can't quite place, maybe Rage of Bahamut, but with really charming expression.

To stop comparing it to other shows and talk about the story, I think so far it has been secondary to the general creativity so far. The kind of thought I had in the episode was along the lines of the genki Papika feeling like an imaginary friend to the reserved, directionless and creatively stifled Cocona, and like a way that Cocona can express herself. That part is likely unlikely to have an actual place in the story as there seems to be more with evil organisations or something, again I am reminded a little of Kiznaiver with that, but so far it kind of feels like that sort of theme.

If it continues like this, I am going to be very happy.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:45 am Reply with quote
Not quite sure what I saw. Everything was very strange and the MC went along with all of it looked it was all normal. Kinda gave the feel that Cocoa has a mental illness, and we're just seeing her delusions. But that's probably not it. I'll wait for episode 2
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:52 am Reply with quote
The first episode was fantastic (in all senses of the word). I like the characters and the visuals are refreshingly different. Very interesting.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
*sigh*

I had high expectations for this one....yet I didn't enjoy the first episode all that much. I don't know why...but it didn't click with me. Maybe it's because I find Cocona so boring.

Quote:
How show not coming from Gainax or Trigger?

Anime hyper I know....I really felt the same way!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Yeah, it seemed like it was Trigger, with character designs by Marmalade Boy and backgrounds by Ghibli. Smile

And yeah, I might as well start now with calling the girls Coconut and Paprika, because that's what my brain reads every time.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

Yeah, it seemed like it was Trigger, with character designs by Marmalade Boy and backgrounds by Ghibli. Smile

People from Ghibli DID do the backgrounds, in fact. Anime hyper

More than Marmalade Boy, (Yoshizumi Wataru) the character designs look like
Fukushima Haruka's art. o_o

http://egmont.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/cj_0408_lr.jpeg

Look at the girl and then look at Papika! (Though the very wide mouths also remind of Detective Conan lol)
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
Papika is a cute lil' stalker, isn't she? And I ship her and Cocona so hard! Embarassed
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Yayaka is so Tsundere and certainly super jelly of Papika's unbridled nature.

That said, the show certainly feels very Fooly Cooly in nature (as everyone has been citing Gainax styled inspiration in regards to animation)

I hope the show continues to be fun.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

I find large chunks of this show really annoying. I swear half of this episode consisted of Papika yelling, "Cocona!" I'm glad that we seem to getting past the, "No, I don't wanna go adventuring with you!" stage because that was getting tedious. Have I complained enough yet? No, I have not. A problem I have with the basic premise of the show is that I just don't find Prime Illusion to be a very interesting place. Yes, there are stakes. We know that injuries (and therefore presumably death) suffered in it translate to the real world. But basically huge chunks of each show are going to be the equivalent of somebody saying to you, "Wow, I had the weirdest dream last night" and then proceeding to bore you with a minute recounting of all the details which, no doubt, are fascinating to the dreamer but not to the listener.

And yet I am not ready to drop this title. I'll stick with it to see if the annoyance factor drops and if I can find some way to attach to a story should one emerge.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:43 pm Reply with quote
How inventive this title is! The intention at this stage seems to be the establishment of character identities through almost exclusively kinematic means, letting the couple physically interact with their environments rather than question or mull over it. Sensation indeed plays more of a role in setting the pace than any rational character motivations, much to the show's benefit. (This is to say nothing of the blatant undertones, of course.)

The sense of rapid but never daunting mystery intertwined with moderate visual experimentation reminds me of the first episode of Kaiba of all things. Let us hope that when the task of earnest world-building comes to the fore, its writing maintains more clarity than such a series did. A steady, guiding hand is required to make such free-spiritedness amount to something pertinent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Daaaaamn, this show is weeeeeeeird. Anime hyper

I see what everyone meant by "LSD" cause....yeeeeeeeah. I liked it more than the first episode though. There were no dull moments.

Don't really see all the "yuri" people are hyping about; these two girls are likely just going to be "bestest friends". Papika is so childish in her interactions and personality; it's more like a little kid following her big sis around so it's hard for me to see her as a love interest at all. She's just a clingy person. lol

Can the girls please freaking transform into mahou shoujo already!?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:07 am Reply with quote
I tend to be among the first kind of yuri shipping, but I don't really feel it at all in this series. No this really comes across the feeling of friends and imagination, and that I think gives meaning to the wonder lands they end up in. The environments I am pretty certain are not as random as they seem on a base level. The one this episode seemed to be specifically to do with the vacuum that sucked in her pet rabbit Uexkull, but interestingly it seems to be more random and unrefined, especially in regard to Papiko, until Cocona gets her to focus, and the vacuum starting after an accident with Papiko referencing how she unintentionally scared Uexkull earlier. I actually picked it up in the episode that although Cocona got the super form last episode, it was likely Papiko's turn, because the first was about Cocona getting a bit out of her comfort zone, and this one was about Papiko needing to worry a bit more, the two of them reach a balance.

But a kind of cool note is Uexkull himself, because his design I think can say a few things. His normal animal form is kind of noteworthy in itself as being considerably not like a normal rabbit, which I think says something about the otherwise serious Cocona, that it is someone she opens up with. That to Cocona Uexkull is more than "just a rabbit", but a little furry blob who can be a little strange, but also needed protection by her. Although there is even more where in the world they ended up in the episode where both Cocona and Papiko were kind of infused with rabbit characteristics, Uexkull was pretty cool and strong. It probably asks the question of from where did he get this image, was it his own idea or is perhaps a secret idea of Cocona? I tend to think it was the later, after all she named her pet rabbit "Uexkull", a more complex and cool name than you would expect with a rabbit, and perhaps might appear out of character for Cocona in general with her serious character. Instead I think that it is evidence of a more creative side to Cocona, that she could imagine her cute little bunny as a strong hero like character.

There are other things I want to point out too, like character designs. Like how it is kind of odd that Papiko gets given clothes to transfer into the school, but rather than it being a uniform she instead has a very pretty dress. The dress does seem to clash with what we have seen of her wild behaviour as if to say that she can dress up from her kind of tattered appearance, that she can be feminine, but still she might not follow the trend of everyone else. And on my mind so far was Dr Salt, I just thought that he looked really cool, he does look a little untrustworthy, but feels like a fun character design, my reaction actually is Kamina, which is a little odd. Also odd was that the transformed Uexkull also reminded me of Kamina.

I am still really liking Flip Flappers, and I wonder what others could read into the subtext of the show.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:50 am Reply with quote
DP,

In the first episode, it seemed to me that Pure Illusion (the part we saw anyway) was part of Cocana's mindscape. Everything was frozen. There were no people. Then the trees acted like lemmings mindlessly marching into the lake, just like in her life students mindlessly follow the flow of school life. And it was Papiko's actions that were disturbing the generally placid, if not static nature of that world, which led Cocana to change things by destroying the ice covering the lake in order to save Papiko from Cocana's... defense mechanisms?

I haven't seen this week's episode yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if Pure Illusion is always the reflection of someone's (or multiple someone's) mindscape.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:21 pm Reply with quote
@ Tuor_of_Gondolin

Yeah, that sounds like a good description of the first episode, and how the actions within were also symbolic. I do wonder if there was any meaning then that the snow was actually sweet rather than cold, or if that was plain girly imagination stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5