• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Personal 2015 anime awards.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:06 am Reply with quote
It has reached the end of the year, although a few shows have a last episode or so left to go there are already articles on the best anime of the year as said by the critics. And so I bring up this topic, list some of the personal awards for the year, these are not necessarily the best shows you saw. Make a category, any category, good, bad, strangely specific, and say a character, event, or a show in general that you think should win that topic. The important thing is to say any aspect of anime in 2015 that you think left a mark.

I will suggest a few of my own.

Best use of full CG for animation:
Knights of Sidonia: Battle for Planet Nine - The first season was kind of a shock, full cg for anime is a pretty bad idea, you cannot get the emotional aspects you expect for anime with such clunky animation. But somehow they managed to get it to work, and the second season was even better. What works so well is what it offered for mecha bits that there was no change in animation when we got to them from the characters. The CG amongst other things was able to convey other important things like pain, and introduced a character that defies what we would expect of humanising.

Best voice performance
Aoi Yuuki as Clementine (Overlord) - Aoi Yuuki is often referenced as the voice of characters like Madoka, or say Hibiki from Symphogear, but it was her portrayal of a psychopathic villain in Overlord that is going to stand out to me. Clementine might have been written as a despicable character, but there was just something truly menacing that Aoi Yuuki put in, what might have been somewhat smug felt transformed into something bone chilling and insane. Putting her performance next to what she did with Hibiki and Fremy during the same reason made it all the more powerful.

Most unintentionally funny music scene
Loewen's song (Dance With Devils) - All I have to say is "Pomeranian choir". It feels incredibly hard to believe with moments like that if the show was trying to take itself seriously at all. It could be that the show knew that it was taking the piss out of itself, but the seriousness of everything else just makes it amazing. It is the sort of reason I can totally watch some bad similar anime.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I'll use the format I used the last few years as well. I don't know who made this list up but I like it.

Best Overall TV Show of the Year: Noragami Aragoto
This is a hard one, I thought there were multiple standouts. I love music themes, so Sound! Euphonium was up my alley. I liked the way the sharp animation told us many things about how the characters were feeling. It had a grand finale as well.
Death Parade is a very unique show, in that it captured different stories, themes and even genres every arc, but it was still a cohesive show and the underlying themes became clearer towards the end. It managed to pull off everything they tried as well. I had wished they dived more into the main characters and cast earlier instead of the focus on the 'candidates for this week'.
Another show that I loved was the second season of My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU. Sharper animation, digging deeper into the characters and they added a fun girl to the cast as well.
What I love about Noragami is 1. that the second season takes major steps in character development. The drama is really heartfelt, but the show knows how to balance it with humor and action. It displays themes like family in a well thought out way.
Moreover and perhaps even more important: 2. this show has a universal appeal while still being unique and having its deep roots in Japanese culture. This show breathes Japan with its Gods, shrines and all, but it's still very accessible.
Runner ups: My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO!, Death Parade

Best Overall Movie of the Year: ?
Haven't watched any.

Best Comedy: I'm picky about comedy. It's probably One Punch Man, but I didn't watch that show. It showed some promise in its first episode, but I wasn't into it immediately.
Runner up: Liked the first eppie of Osomatsu-san.

Forgotten Gem of the Year: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
Okay okay, it's probably not forgotten since it's from a popular franchise and it's not even over yet - but I don't think mainstream viewers had this on their radar at first. I really like this show though. The addition of orphans treated like crap taking over business and trying to hold their own - you can't help but root for the characters here. Orga (and Eugene, love him) is a sympathetic and charismatic character that won me over pretty soon. The action is done well and in its battle scenes this show tells us more than words can say sometimes. It's not over yet and I hope this show will stay on focus.
Runner up: Er... Gangsta? Not a real gem but had potential.

Most Unexpected Surprise: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
Frankly, when I saw this title I thought it'd be crap. A bunch of uninteresting characters battling uninteresting machines in battles nobody could decipher who's who and why with enough technobabble to fall asleep. Sorry. I'm glad and thankful for reviews.
I was a bit wary for Death Parade as well, didn't really think it would turn out to be such a fun show.
Runner up: Death Parade

Characters: Putting aside the overall quality of the shows they're in, who were your favorite characters this year?

Best Individual Character: Hachiman of My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO!
He's not my favorite really, that's Yato I think. In terms of clever and complicated writing though, I think Hachiman wins. It's tough to make such a flawed but also sympathetic character.
I like Obi because he's not the average good guy and a bit harder to read.
Runner up: Obi from Snow White with the Red Hair

Best Couple or Pair (Doesn't have to be romantic): Shirayuki & Zen from Snow White with the Red Hair
Oh YES this year it HAS to be romantic. I loved this pair. Two strong characters that are independent and stay that way, but learn to love, rely on and know one another. Their chemistry is obvious pretty early in this series.
As for a runner up, I adored Kousaka and Omae, they had real chemistry and weren't afraid to speak their minds to each other. They won't win, since the show didn't want to choose between friends or romance and chose the grey area that so many poor viewers were afraid of.
Runner up: Kousaka Reina & Omae Kumiko from Sound! Euphonium

Best Villain or Antagonist: Izanami - Noragami Aragoto
Good villains/antagonists are hard to find. I hope for a multifaceted and easy to both love and hate character every year. Maybe Bishamon would/should fit the bill, but she's not an antagonist, or at least not anymore. Also, I like her better now that she's grown and is more protagonist-esque. Izanami, the Goddess of the underworld, deserves a moment of shine I think. She's a powerful villain, but it's very hard to hate her. She is just so lonely. Her last words struck a chord in me.
One could also say that Hachiman of SNAFU and some of his friends are their own worst enemy. I'll give the Runner Up position to the student council of the Taihin (yes, same show but other school) though. These people were funny in their flashy arguments that went absolutely nowhere, easy to hate, but best of all: the Jazz-hands.
Runner up: Taihin General High School Student Council of My Teen Romantic SNAFU TOO!

Moments: Putting aside the overall quality of the shows they're in, which specific scenes did you like best?

Best Individual Scene (Could overlap with one of the below or be something entirely different): Yato gets spoiler[his own shrine], Noragami
There are too many memorable scenes and I'm too tired to think clearly right now. Also, Noragami has too many notable scenes. This one though is really sweet. Only then the people around him really realize that Yato really values his dream and isn't only fooling around - there's enough pain in his interior.
Runner up: Skating scene in Death Parade

Best Plot Twist: Was there a real good plot twist this year? I did like the twist or the main character of Charlotte, Otosaka Yuu, to make him someone who'd totally abuse his power and go the evil route. There were also some other memorable twists in that show, however, the show eventually went downhill and ended on a sour note.

Best Fight: The first real spacebattle in Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans (not the one on Mars) in Episode 5
Really liked the storyboarding, there were Gundams fighting, good use of the environment, witty tactics, loved this spectacle.

Best Death: I didn't watch many memorable people die really. I'll give the award to spoiler[Masahiro Altland] then, from Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. Was a powerful moment. It was not the death itself, but the things he said before that utterly shocked spoiler[his brother] (about how he viewed family) and the way he pushed spoiler[his brother] away.
The runner up is debatable in light of the things that happened afterwards, but it did have a big impact on the main character.
Runner up: spoiler[Otosaka Ayumi] from Charlotte

Art & Sound: Noises! Pictures! This one is pretty self-explanatory.
I have to say Noragami Aragoto. Hard to explain, but love everything about its OST and I love Yato's eyes. The characters have great style too.

Best Visual Design: Sound! Euphonium
Sound! Euphonium does the animation better than any other show, even without fights.
Runner up: Noragami Aragoto (love the fights and slick animation here too)

Best Music: Noragami Aragoto
If it were about individual songs, I'd say Gangsta had a good chance with Alex captivating song. The remaining OST was nothing to write home about however (too mellow). Noragami never disappoints here and neither does Mobile Suit Gundam.
Runner up: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans

Best Voice Performance: No idea. I'll go with Yato's VA, Hiroshi Kamiya, because he's so versatile. He can do many different characters. It's easy to notice his voice if you focus on it, but otherwise I'd totally miss that he's also playing Natsume Takashi or Levi from Attack on Titan. He does the happy go lucky act of Yato very well.
Runner up: I rather liked Tomoyo Kurosawa as Oumae Kumiko of Sound! Euphonium. It's a rather unique voice that sometimes sounds like it cracks a bit. It fits Oumae's unmotivated tone at the beginning of the show and she can sound quite harsh to Shuichi.

Best Opening Sequence: Kyouran Hey Kids!!, the Oral Cigarettes of Noragami Aragoto
This is a REALLY close one. Death Parade's Opening is REALLY catchy and fun. I hummed it many times. I thought the show didn't always match the tone of the opening though. However, I also have a huge soft spot for Noragami Aragoto. It's a cool, catchy song and it fits perfectly, even better than the song of the first season. The opening of Mobile Suit Gundam fits very well as well, but it has tough competition.
Runner up: Flyers by BRADIO, Death Parade

Best Ending Sequence: Orphans no Namida by Misia, Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
I really like how each episode flows flawlessly into this ending theme. It carries the emotional weight of the series and I like the deep tone of the singer's voice.
Runner up: Couldn't think of any
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1