• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Active Raid (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:13 am Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
The force field was based on an EM pulse of some kind, which would definitely affect power suits and other technological equipment, but there's no reason why it should have any special effect on the train tracks in particular.

So it disintegrates streetlamps, cars, and other thing in front of him, but not train tracks that are also equipped with electronics to conduct electricity?

jroa wrote:
The governor of the prefecture, like many political figures in both anime and real life, was simply engaging in exaggerated grandstanding. The show merely played that up for comedic effect. From Dirty Pair to Patlabor, such situations are not uncommon.

But this show tries to pretend it has some level of understanding of what politicians and law enforcement know they are allowed to do under law, but wants to believe one such person would be so ignorant. It does not feel believable,

jroa wrote:
Haruka and Kobari shared an unusual yet sincere personal interest in trains. I believe this was made extremely clear by the episode.

And? What did it have to do with convincing him not to what he was? Would Hitler be any better of a person if he liked trains? It was not relevant to the situation or his character.

jroa wrote:
What do you think usually happens to any criminals who do not stop when asked to do so by law enforcement officers? Either Unit 8, the military or some other security organization would be forced to attack and/or arrest him using other methods. Such as launching that special rocket against his power suit. Despite the governor's public boasting, even the "boss" could tell it wouldn't leave Kobari unharmed .

Here is the thing, this show has never actually explained what would happen. As far as we know this was a recent experimental unit that is required to take on these cases of using the armour, and there is like no other defence. The special suit technology came so far that whatever other plan to take one on had to be privately funded and is dangerous.

jroa wrote:
It was evident that "just walking there" was what he already was doing in the first place. The EM field was actively removing all obstacles in his path and causing damage, but that is apparently what LOGOS wanted.

He could control it himself right? It was a shock when he could not control it at the end. He could have just not turned on the shield. We heard nothing from the bad guy in telling him that he needed to cause a mess on the way there.

jroa wrote:
The rest of your questions aren't worth answering, because they continue to strike me as either mostly unnecessarily cynical or otherwise directly struggling against the nature of the series itself. After reading your criticisms about episode 6, I can only conclude...sigh.

Well the nature of the series does a poor job of explaining itself. Recently wild character traits have popped up in the series, and not very tactfully. It wants us both to think it is playing things seriously by being a somewhat down to earth cop drama, but ignore parts that are quite illogical in that area.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It was suggested that "just walking there" is exactly what he started doing in the first place. The blue EM field was actively removing all obstacles in his path and causing damage, but that is apparently what LOGOS wanted.

I thought the point of the episode was that this current episode was that this weeks Willwear incident was at the very least NOT going by LOGOS' long term plan.

Most of the lead up events seem to have the MO that at the very least the WillWear users were caught alive thus giving some credit for Unit 8's efforts.

This is the first time presented to the audience that a Willwear perp has died.
jroa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:

I thought the point of the episode was that this current episode was that this weeks Willwear incident was at the very least NOT going by LOGOS' long term plan.

More or less, though that was only revealed near the end of the episode. There seems to be a split within LOGOS, you are correct about that, but from the perspective of the victim (Kobari, the train otaku) and Unit 8 that has not been established yet. Meanwhile, all the other incidents have still caused plenty of chaos and damage, so there's no reason to believe this one would be different in that respect.

DuskyPredator wrote:
So it disintegrates streetlamps, cars, and other thing in front of him, but not train tracks that are also equipped with electronics to conduct electricity?

Except it didn't really "disintegrate" anything, so that's a rather poor description of the actual effect involved. In addition, the very fact that those train tracks could be used to conduct electricity was the point: Unit 8 itself used them to transmit whatever signal it was that disrupted the field. Trying to present your interpretation as the one and only inherently "scientific" perspective is not only out of place for a show of this kind, in my opinion, but it is also not necessarily accurate, according to the information provided by the episode.

Quote:
But this show tries to pretend it has some level of understanding of what politicians and law enforcement know they are allowed to do under law, but wants to believe one such person would be so ignorant. It does not feel believable

That is due to your personal way of looking at this show, not because of any objective or verifiable pretense on its part. The series has been full of satire, gags and criticisms towards said politics, bureaucracy and law enforcement with a mostly lighthearted mood. Satire can, and does, often involve a lot of exaggeration. It doesn't need to be entirely believable, for the same reason that political cartoons in a newspaper don't require such a thing. I don't think that only serious anime and manga are allowed to make political commentary.

Quote:
It was not relevant to the situation or his character.

We aren't talking about a strictly normal person, nor a very realistic situation, but about a train otaku within a Japanese cartoon.

This was a relatively unusual individual who felt so strongly about trains that he made dioramas. Those dioramas directly implied that he wished to visit a bunch of famous train locations with his daughter. Therefore, the resulting metaphors might be 100% ridiculous to us, but the conceit is that such an otaku would feel emotional enough to make a direct connection between the two.

Given that the police didn't really know anything about how or why LOGOS was blackmailing him, their only real avenue of approach in terms of persuasion was the one Haruka chose. Was it cheesy and very silly? Yes. Nonsensical? Nope, I don't think so.

Quote:
Here is the thing, this show has never actually explained what would happen. As far as we know this was a recent experimental unit that is required to take on these cases of using the armour, and there is like no other defence. The special suit technology came so far that whatever other plan to take one on had to be privately funded and is dangerous.

We may never know the specifics. Yet I believe the show did not actually need to provide a full explanation down to every last detail. That would, in fact, be mostly technobabble. However, the implication was still made, and the audience has every reason to believe in the judgment of someone from Unit 8 over a pretentious governor ranting on TV.

Quote:
He could control it himself right? It was a shock when he could not control it at the end. He could have just not turned on the shield. We heard nothing from the bad guy in telling him that he needed to cause a mess on the way there.

I'd disagree. You're assuming that the bad guys would, for practically the first time in this show, go out of their way to avoid causing panic or collateral damage. If he didn't turn on the shield and avoided causing any trouble, then logically speaking the villain(s) would simply threaten the guy again or just turn it on for him.

Quote:
Well the nature of the series does a poor job of explaining itself. Recently wild character traits have popped up in the series, and not very tactfully. It wants us both to think it is playing things seriously by being a somewhat down to earth cop drama, but ignore parts that are quite illogical in that area.

I feel quite the opposite. The nature of the series explains exactly what bothers you so much about Active Raid and why other viewers, especially among the Japanese audience itself, may not have such problems. It is not tactful and doesn't even want to be a very serious production.

This is a public statement from the creators, posted on the official website right before the start of broadcast. It says that Active Raid is going to be a lighthearted and fun series that shouldn't be taken too seriously. That's not me saying things, it's a verifiable fact.

Just because you think there's only one very narrow way of making a lighthearted anime and have little or no experience with Tokusatsu, from what I can tell, shouldn't mean the creators are either lying or inherently wrong.

And no, I don't think including drama or death makes every single show automatically serious business. For example, see Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. A bunch of characters, even a couple of important ones, definitely died there and the show didn't suddenly make fun of their deaths. It played them fairly straight and introduced drama at various points, but nobody would claim it's an inherently serious production.

That said, Jojo does tend to break the fourth wall more often and more explicitly, but Active Raid has also done that on a few occasions. For example, the hospital at the end of episode 7 is called Saint IMS. That's literally the name of the animation studio, Production IMS. The second episode had the "boss" looking at the camera like this right before giving some legitimate advice. I don't think that's the series trying to be "believable" to say the least.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Sena's ex-ex-ex-ex-ex??? Lol.

Miho is a weird woman imo with a..fetish(?) for apologizes. And her reason of breaking up with Sena seemed kinda silly to me. The whole episode felt like a drama fest except for the ending when Miho realized the what she's gotten herself into. Not sure why but I find the episode kinda funny. Too bad for Miho though as the military takes her down. Maybe she'll learn that in life, not everything can be taken as granted. Not bad, I liked this episode more than the previous.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:07 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't it be kind of a big deal if the military suddenly started to get involved? Not just doing so without permission or knowledge of those whose jurisdiction they are entering, but that they are pretty much sabotaging the police force's reputation. That they sent it out into the public and then it was able to be hacked and attack a police officer, they would kind of be in big trouble. Unit 8 would have practically had permission to arrest the unit before they found out who was behind it, and use force if they did not comply, even if they were helping, as far as they knew it was a civilian playing being law enforcers with technology, and unaccountable for their actions.

I still don't understand why people consider their Unit a problem, like to the amount of having a drink thrown at them for even trying to defend it. Although perhaps not having your entire staff go out and possibly all getting drunk at the same time would be something.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Wow Doumoto (aka Fisherman) really tried to get his revenge this episode. Not that it really worked in the end with Unit 8's intervention. I kinda like this episode since it ties in the conflicts that the police units have to deal with on a daily basis.

I got that Logos will strike again soon. Also not sure yet what the governor's next move will be but he is definitely angry with Unit 8. (I bet he has some sort of indirect connection with it).

Action was alright, it showed more of what Wears can really do. Logos might be the most prominent antagonist organization/force in this series from this episode's point of view. Hopefully this means we can get a longer story arc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
"He still has one ice shot left."
That would mean they are aware of the one used when he was betrayed at his hideout, although we did not see any evidence of this being known to them. If they were aware of that location I imagine they would also be aware of the "mafia" that were sent to get him. They could follow leads on that along with why those one group was attacking there, and probably sifting through the wreckage that could have led to finding out information on Dog, I doubt the explosion and freeze would have been enough to destroy all of the high-tech data storage there.
jroa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Unit 8 necessarily had to be directly involved in actually investigating the hideout, given all the talk of jurisdictions and authorizations, nor is it obvious that such a thing would produce any effective leads either.

All they would need to know could easily be limited to a simple report of the freeze shot having been used before, or looking through camera footage of the various incidents that might be used to confirm just how many were left in the criminal's hands by then.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:43 am Reply with quote
Yeah ... she's just stupid.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 10:

The Logos leader huh? I think he is a rather creepy dude. I find the way that he "resigned" himself a really odd move. Considering that the series was looking to push them as the main antagonists...it felt even more weird.

Eh, idk how I feel about this episode. Felt like it's setting up for the final two episodes of the first half of this show but I'm not feeling much about it. The timing of the "earthquake" felt especially strange to me as it seems to be planned by that one other guy.
jroa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
10:

This was mainly a setup episode. Not particularly exciting, in terms of characterization or action, but the pieces are actually starting to come together.

I've said this before, but while I do enjoy this show...hopefully the second season will shift the focus away from Mythos and Logos to another kind of threat after the current crisis is resolved.

Stark700 wrote:
Episode 10:
The timing of the "earthquake" felt especially strange
to me as it seems to be planned by that one other guy.

It wasn't actually a real earthquake, but just a false alarm caused by manipulating the relevant systems and thus exposing them to a further attack.

As for all the revelations about the student council president, he's acting as a decoy and giving himself up to take the attention away from Mythos. Who is the actual leader, as far as we can tell. I don't think we're meant to believe too much of what was told to the police as part of said decoy operation.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Get a warning of a large earthquake, and what do you do? Apparently a bunch of people decided that the safest place was to be standing on a bridge, not deciding to use that warning to make their way to solid ground. I know that it was just done to give a sense that the earthquake happened when people were in the middle of things, like how the sleep power made people fall asleep in the middle of the road, but it still makes little actual sense. Also seem to be no cars in the scene too, as if the show does not know what to do with them.

I know that the show has done enough to show that the unit is unprofessional, but it has not quite given enough reason that it should disbanded, especially just from apparently spying. The statement could really say that a major problem is that it understaffed, like the show expects us to think a SWAT like unit can be made up of several people apparently on call at a moments notice. Can a unit be disbanded in a single day without warning and no actual good reason? I imagine there would be a period it would be taken to some sort of tribunal where it would be discussed by the various parties behind the unit, and ample warning with the person in charge of unit, who she was not even the one told.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Ep 10
This episode is like watching water boil, except the thing of it is the show is actually planning to cook with said boiling water in the follow up.

I can understand if this episode is overly boring, because frankly nothing action based happens other than Mythos moving his final pieces into place.

For me though, this episodes value can only be determined with how the series wraps it up, if Active Raid delivers on its promise this may secretly be one of the top episodes for its run as it is behaving subtlety before the promised storm.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:10 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Apparently a bunch of people decided that the safest place was to be standing on a bridge, not deciding to use that warning to make their way to solid ground.

A modern bridge built to code might actually be one of the safest places around, particularly being on it if it is away from things that can fall on you.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:00 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Apparently a bunch of people decided that the safest place was to be standing on a bridge, not deciding to use that warning to make their way to solid ground.

A modern bridge built to code might actually be one of the safest places around, particularly being on it if it is away from things that can fall on you.

But wouldn't you be at risk of like losing your footing and falling over the side, which is where the road is?

Well maybe it has something to do with that there are no earthquakes where I live.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6