• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hayate the Combat Butler.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
The producers are having fun with Hinagiku fanservice, I see. I'm wondering if she's dominating all the popularity polls or something...

After reading the opinions of quite a few bloggers (via a "Top 5 Hayate Bishoujo" post or something to that extent), I'm pretty sure Hinagiku's the most popular character in the show.

"Louise with a Kendo stick", someone called her.
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:

That's kind of funny since the seiyu of both Nagi and Louise is Rie Kugimiya, though I can see the resemblance of Hinagiku and Louise.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:38 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
I guess the long pink hair is rather popular with the masses?

needed the encyclopedia for some quick references; must thank LuckySleven for that tidbit =P

Ah well, who cares. I like her too. She reminds me of Eri and Yakumo from School Rumble in the "Supporting Girl Totally Beats The Lead Girl (Can't Explain Why)" style. It is one of those times where the individual and the popularity polls correlate.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 18 contained massive amounts of fail. Schmidt pretty much ruined the episode for me (with slight mitigation from Klaus and Tama [that's the tiger's name, right?]), and what's the point of a swimsuit episode if you only use the average-looking girls? Random Hinagiku for the save. By the way, "Louise with a kendo stick"? Louise from Zero? I don't see it.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Episode 18 contained massive amounts of fail. Schmidt pretty much ruined the episode for me (with slight mitigation from Klaus and Tama [that's the tiger's name, right?]), and what's the point of a swimsuit episode if you only use the average-looking girls? Random Hinagiku for the save. By the way, "Louise with a kendo stick"? Louise from Zero? I don't see it.

I agree, the last holiday I went on was with one of these agencies that was meant to find all the best bits and get you there cheap and easy. The person in charge of my group was awful, I flew home 3 days early (from a 1 week trip) paying for a new ticket, and still paying for the hotel rooms and so on. Basically I hate people ruining things that are meant to be fun. In Schmidt's case it was even worse because what he was doing could not be construed as fun to any sane person anyway.
omnistry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote
It should be noted that spoiler[Nabeshin] appears in the latest episode. It was the ultimate win when spoiler[the Excel Saga girls made a cameo appearance]!!!!
WTFAnimeGEek

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Im loving this show so far, specially the narrators dialog that always shows up at the right time; stating the over obvious statements. That just makes the show awesome, as well as the bleeped out dialog!!
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I found the most recent ep (with the Nabeshin) to be on eof the weakest in the series run...not once did it even cause me to crack a smile, the cameo's felt rather pointless and not actually funny, more along the lines of 'Look here are characters from something else! Laugh now!' as opposed to actually doing anything funny with them...
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
That last several episodes haven't been that great, but the Nabeshin episode was the weakest episode in a long time, possibly the entire series. I liked the second half for Sakuya and Isumi, but it was pretty weak on teh funny.
Leuconoe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:32 am Reply with quote
Mmm, I imagine the last episode would have been much funnier if I'd got the references - which is one of the weaknesses of that kind of humour. Still, it's not enough to outweigh the decent showing made by most of the series.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:52 am Reply with quote
Leuconoe wrote:
Mmm, I imagine the last episode would have been much funnier if I'd got the references - which is one of the weaknesses of that kind of humour. Still, it's not enough to outweigh the decent showing made by most of the series.

I got the main ones and they weren't funny...

Nabeshin is a major guy in the anime world who frequently does interviews and panels, he also has an afro, hence the episode...but afro's aren't funny...the second was the Excel Saga one, but I found Excel Saga's majority of humour came from repeated idiocy, Excel dies...what 6 times in the first episode and keeps getting brought back to life by a increasingly pissed 'spirit of the universe' type of thing...in this ep the Excel girls got a very short appearance in which they do nothing anyway...so just laugh because you know who they are not because they actually do anything.
Skylark

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:40 am Reply with quote
I dropped this at around episode 30. I don't get all the references (although I get a fair few of them), but even so; it's just gone on too long. The jokes are getting tired and I'm just... over it. Anyone else share my opinion?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:05 am Reply with quote
I haven't lost interest completely but I just haven't bothered to watch another episode since I finished 28. Still downloading the series even though I hit my cap.. 8-10 hours download instead of 15-20 mins ftl. Australian broadband ftl :(

I really hope they elevate Hina and Hamster to main character status like they're in the manga. Heck I might just read the manga instead because I'm worried with the amount of filler they might not do that since there's only 20 episodes to go.

Edit - Hmm read up on 33 and a certain "Zero" appears lol, might start watching it again now.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:18 am Reply with quote
So, time to dredge this thread up again...I'd seen a few random screenshots from this series, many of them with bizarre and funny lines like "Why is there a tiger at a house in Japan??" Back in November it got voted in at Anime Club, and I was hooked from there. I've always loved reference-heavy entertainment like MST3K and movies like Top Secret, Hot Shots, Naked Gun, Loaded Weapon, Not Another Teen Movie, and Scary Movie, not to mention anime such as Excel Saga, Abenobashi, and Pani Poni Dash. So not surprisingly, HtCB was reference heaven for me, even when I didn't immediately understand them and had to check ANN's Trivia (a section which rivals Lucky Star's trivia section now). It's strange, I've always been the kind of person who does laugh at a joke if it's explained to me. I also liked the previews (at least up to ep 30 or so) that used a preview closing line from other series, including Cardcaptor Sakura, Evangelion, When they Cry, and Revolutionary Girl Utena. Speaking of Utena, that butler tournament just about killed me with laughter...I'd been getting Utena vibes ever since the introduction of Hinagiku and the student council room at the top of a tower, but Hina's Utena costume, intro sequence, revolutionary speeches, and the RGU-esque fight setup took things to a whole new level.

But references aren't everything; I found plenty of other funny moments, including Hayate's "Future Dreams" school project and his class's reaction to it. And then there's Hayate's relationship with the lovely Nagi Sanzenin, who sports the requisite twin tails of a tsundere character. You gotta love a relationship borne and fueled by Nagi's constant misunderstandings, as well as (I would say) her reaching out for affection out of a profound loneliness. That might not work for a serious romantic story, but it functions well enough in this comedy setting.
"I think this is the episode of Hayate the Combat Butler where there's some kind of misunderstanding."
"Oh, then I've already seen this one *click*."

And just recently, I caught up to the most-recently-subbed episode (39)...according to the trivia, the animation QUALITY is supposed to reference Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann's infamously bad episode 4 TV broadcast, but I didn't see the connection. Episode 39 was very Gainax-y (and TTGL wasn't the only object of reference), and I thought the animators went all-out in creating frenetic fights and action scenes. I never saw TTGL, so maybe I'm missing something here?

Anyway, this has been a really fun show for me. There were a few misfires like ep 18 and a few eps in the 30s (although Nagi's schoolgirl roleplaying in 37 had me in stitches), but they weren't fatal flaws. I'm hoping it stays strong in the next 13 episodes until the end.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:58 am Reply with quote
In summation -- this has plenty of "WTF moments". Laughing Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5