• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bakuman. (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote
I give up. If I become interested in the process of creating manga I will give away some money to book about that. After some episodes it's just stupid. Become writer to be a writer? Not because I have something to tell, but just to live as one? Characters aren't interesting enough to keep my attention, romance is begging logic for mercy.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Bakuman has a plethora of interesting characters. Problem is, none of them appear in Vol 1 and everything that they've animated is vol 1 stuff. The pacing is even starting to kill it for me and I love the manga. The series strongest point is its crazy and interesting characters, which they should have showcased in the opening instead of focusing so much on the romance. Mad
kiddtic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I think I may be the only one who is over the moon for this show at this point. the new episode was just perfect for me. The bond between the two leads is getting stronger than ever and the little pinch of girl drama made that little bit more interesting.

I cant wait for the next episode Im sure they will be turned down badly by shonen Jack, but that will just spur them on even more.

I find it hard to understand why people think this is "boring" though. Its funny and has a good drama element to it and the inside info on creating manga is great, the dialogue wins it for me.. I havnt seen another show do this ever since Bakemonogatari.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:18 pm Reply with quote
kiddtic wrote:
I find it hard to understand why people think this is "boring" though. Its funny and has a good drama element to it and the inside info on creating manga is great, the dialogue wins it for me.. I havnt seen another show do this ever since Bakemonogatari.

I've only watched the first four episodes but I found the dialogue utterly unremarkable - nothing like the flights that Bakemonogatari took. I also find this show boring because I don't like or give a toss about the two main characters - again, totally unlike Bakemonogatari. As always, it's different strokes for different folks.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:17 am Reply with quote
This is a series that you all owe it to yourself to barrel through. Watch it up through probably episode 12 or so (although it shouldn't take that long) when the other supporting characters get added. I mean, they've barely even shown Eiji yet! If you absolutely can't push through the anime then at least read the first two volumes or so of the manga, I bet when you're done you'll want more.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:47 am Reply with quote
No offense, but I always kind of cringe when somebody says, "hang in until episode _____ and then it starts to actually get good." I don't mind hanging around for 4 or 5 eppies to see if things start to take off, but 12? No show should take that long to get in gear.
Mister V

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:08 am Reply with quote
Okay, I'll restrain myself from commenting on most things, but... were the creators of Bakuman being sarcastic, with those manga ideas? Because... they're pathetic. Confused
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
No offense, but I always kind of cringe when somebody says, "hang in until episode _____ and then it starts to actually get good." I don't mind hanging around for 4 or 5 eppies to see if things start to take off, but 12? No show should take that long to get in gear.

Unfortunately, it's the price of doing business with manga-based anime. You'll actually find out way if you keep watching Bakuman, but essentially a manga can pull numerous 180s over its run as it tries to build and maintain an audience. This can lead to a lot of massive changes in a series that can greatly effect audience reaction. A great example of this is Hitman Reborn, which started as a complete comedy, but after about 20 chapters became a semi-serious battle manga. Dragon Ball, Bleach, HXH, they all went through major shifts in tone as the series went on. Hanging around for a few episodes for Bakuman really shouldn't be that big a lift, and like I said, if you really can't manage it, at least read a couple volumes of the manga, it'll take like a half hour, tops.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh. That's why people keep saying that novels don't adapt well into anime.
Interesting episode, but I'd say we need new characters urgently! Preferably sexy ones.

"What happens if my stomach growls in the middle of class?"
Laughing
kiddtic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Oh. That's why people keep saying that novels don't adapt well into anime.

I would argue to say that is debatable, it depends what kind of anime you are looking for, I mean it definetly wouldnt work for a shonen jump anime definetly not. But if you get something like Ergo Proxy (im not saying it was a light novel just using it as a reference) which is generally slow paced and "deep" you get a goo anime for a certain type of genre.

Overall though its mostly the Shonen type shows that make it uber big and become massive hits so i partially agree to that.

Also what did you guys think of the story that they created? i thought it was insanely rushed and somewhat confusing and wouldnt wok in SJ manga, the idea was a good 1 though and that ending was sooo cheeesy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
Okay, I'll restrain myself from commenting on most things, but... were the creators of Bakuman being sarcastic, with those manga ideas? Because... they're pathetic. Confused

I actually thought they were quite good. And not just good for what is expected of high-school age kids but actually . . . good. I doubt either idea would have longevity (although you should never underestimate the talent of the Japanese for stringing a story out), but they both were original and interesting.

Many works of fiction that are popular and well-regarded actually have ridiculous or rehashed plots. It is evident that how a plot is executed is vastly more important than what the plot actually consists of.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Also what did you guys think of the story that they created? i thought it was insanely rushed and somewhat confusing and wouldnt wok in SJ manga, the idea was a good 1 though and that ending was sooo cheeesy.

I think that was the point, to make something that seemed interesting, but in the end not really good enough to work with.

Quote:
I actually thought they were quite good. And not just good for what is expected of high-school age kids but actually . . . good. I doubt either idea would have longevity (although you should never underestimate the talent of the Japanese for stringing a story out), but they both were original and interesting.

Hell of a lot better than that baseball one-shot that Kishimoto turned in last month. What was he thinking?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:06 am Reply with quote
I didn't really feel any big draw to this series from the begining, but as with 'The World God Knows' I have decided to give this one a second chance. I guess by the end of episode 2 I started to feel a pull, and episode 3 has drawn me in enough (I guess that is what others mean by 3 episode rule) the entering of the studio got me by surprise. I will finish watching the other episodes a bit later and return with my thoughts. Oh and that guy really feels like Light Yagami, he can even keep good grades depite having his main interest into something else.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:09 am Reply with quote
Ok got up to date and watched up to episode 6, probably was easier marathoning through these episodes so far, pretty much very little hapends. It is like the show is suffering from itself, it has a goal and the only thing it cares about is going (goal) and the steps it requires. Plus wastes so much time on a romance that it has done little to develop, the biggest thing they did was a gutsy move at the begining so where is it's decision of developing it beyond some goal at the end. The end of episode 6 might set something up in regard to the romance, I hope they do something, as it is time for the character and the series to show some dedication.

Maybe they are trying to be too deep for their own good, I hear various sources saying that it gets good, but this series should know a good draw at the begining is important. and as for waiting 12 episodes, that is an entire season, no seroes should have to rely on an entire season to get viewers really interested, in fact it is already half a season. I will continue this in hopes that I might recomend it, there are a few things that have got me interested and as the manga is so highly thought of I hope they deliver soon.

Oh and the manga within the show felt kind of off, I think it might have been the narrative of the "Two Earths" one, and the other might be that I am just not interested in sports stories and felt like the twist was just gimicky. I will add that some of this has sparked a bit of interest in some projects that I have been thinking of for the last couple of years.
bahumut75

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:12 am Reply with quote
Firstly, I would like to say that I do agree that the mange ideas presented in the show so far seem to be somewhat lacking; however, I would totally watch the baseball one, being the huge baseball that I am.,..

I actually don't find the characters as boring as most people seem to. I can't really say that I think the writing is the best I've ever seen, but it is more than enough to keep me interested. This might actually be my favorite show so far this season, along with Shinrei Tantei Yakumo. I'm not convinced that either show is a shining example of quality story telling, but I'm enjoying watching them either way Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13