• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Link Click (ONA) - "Anime with Chinese Characteristics"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:38 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I just watched episode 5. fudge, that destroyed me with putting tears in my eyes.

I warned you it had punch you right in the tear-ducts drama, didn't I? Smile Seriously, I'm glad you're enjoying it. Also remember that 5.5 is not a recap episode, so don't skip it.

@Panino, have you run across any info about why they numbered it like that, instead of just calling it episode 6 and running to 12 eps?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:10 am Reply with quote
After watching episode episode 5.5, it did kind of feel like a filler, unless some part will happen to be relevant later, otherwise the only thing I could think of while watching was the mention of the serial killer as the reason looking for lessons. The episode kind of seemed to not actually make sense to be set in between episode 5 and 6, rather than being set before episode 3, since episode 6 took place right after episode 5.

And now having just watched episode 6. Is this series just going to get harder from here? The stress it managed to get across from the beginning of the episode from the day, was well done. And the heartbreak from the modern time from seeing the husband/father now having his wife sort of regress mentally to a child as like a way to cling onto her missing son, just an extra touch of heartbreaking after seeing him beg for help.

I can otherwise see how maybe they slid episode 5.5 between these two arcs to give it some level levity, rather than go straight from a teenage boy having to have his mother die right next to him, and then in parents having lost their child with no closure. I actually had to pause and walk around a bit in the middle of the episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 7, and what do you know, episode 5.5 ended up somehow being very important in seeming to have somehow given Xiaoshi able to scare the kidnapper, which may have saved Dou Dou's life, and other children also.

Also, kind of looks like Lu could be caught on something that events can be possibly changed to be better from the past, if Xiaoshi thinks about it even when he was pretty adamant that they cannot. But also that he might come face to the fact that his little act of kindness for Emma to contact her parents is likely what got her killed, which I can only imagine at this point would devastate him if that was a realisation he got.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:11 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 7, and what do you know, episode 5.5 ended up somehow being very important in seeming to have somehow given Xiaoshi able to scare the kidnapper, which may have saved Dou Dou's life, and other children also.

As this forum don't have a draft feature I'm quoting this in the hopes that I will not forget what I want to comment.

There's other thing, any of you two @DuskyPredator @Gina Szanboti knew about that earthquake? When I watched that episode I remember exactly what earthquake it was, I remember it being talked on TV, but maybe other parts of the works didn't payed much attention.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:32 am Reply with quote
I just went through the last few episode (9,10 and 11), which was quite a ride. I rather like an emotional centre around Emma, along with Xiaoshi, or really just a lot of empathy around people. Still made the ending all the more devastating, and hoping for something more in a second season.

I do wonder about the rules of the time travel, such that if they create these from messing with time, such as if there is an implication that a body hopping time traveling(?) serial killer existed because he did things. Things did chance for the guy who was in Earthquake, I think he had a ring that was not there before. But although not sure, but what he did as Xu Shanshan seemed to be how she did the first time, which made some of things she did then make more sense.

I am also rather interested that there might be other shows of this level of quality come out of Japan. I am seeing the word "donghua", as if to separate it out of anime, but I do think it fits along with even some Western stuff.

Panino Manino wrote:
There's other thing, any of you two @DuskyPredator @Gina Szanboti knew about that earthquake? When I watched that episode I remember exactly what earthquake it was, I remember it being talked on TV, but maybe other parts of the works didn't payed much attention.

I feel like I had a vague memory of it being something very big, I couldn't have put it down to a specific date or anything.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:45 am Reply with quote
What I mentioned in my previous post, something I wanted to remember to comment with you.

spoiler[Maybe you got it by yourself, but episode 5.5 ended being a bit "misleading". Xiaoshi didn't almost knocked out the kidnapper using Dou Dou's body because that "secret technique" actually works, no, it was because he hit the kidnapper with his real body power. That's the trick to the mystery of the killer using Liu Min's body. When they possess people the possessed people acquires their own strength and body condition. It's the same reason why Xiaoshi had to remove the glasses when possessing the architect body, it's why Liu Min was really paralyzed but at times could walk normally.]

DuskyPredator wrote:

I feel like I had a vague memory of it being something very big, I couldn't have put it down to a specific date or anything.

There's something surprising about this series.
Almost all histories I suppose excluding the ones related to Emma for obvious reasons are based on real people and real histories.
The kid kidnapper case is unfortunately still unsolved:

And a lot of specific details about the earthquake episodes were based on real situations that happened there, like a son having a fight with his mother and leaving home while the mother died waiting for him in the kitchen, the father rushing home from work to find it's family dead, the mother protecting the child below the rubble, the destroyed school facility...

DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
What I mentioned in my previous post, something I wanted to remember to comment with you.

spoiler[Maybe you got it by yourself, but episode 5.5 ended being a bit "misleading". Xiaoshi didn't almost knocked out the kidnapper using Dou Dou's body because that "secret technique" actually works, no, it was because he hit the kidnapper with his real body power. That's the trick to the mystery of the killer using Liu Min's body. When they possess people the possessed people acquires their own strength and body condition. It's the same reason why Xiaoshi had to remove the glasses when possessing the architect body, it's why Liu Min was really paralyzed but at times could walk normally.]

I was thinking that it kind of showed its hand with the basketball match, spoiler[where in Chen Xiao's body stopped needing glasses, and became better at basketball beyond just knowing good technique]. And then compounded with spoiler[Dou Dou, which really didn't make sense that it was the force of a child]. I am actually happy it didn't just come across as unaddressed. The glasses especially made me think it was such an important plot point, and never got actually talked about.

Thought I might also make a quick mention of how smooth episodes would end with the transition of the ending song, such as the sound effect of a phone call playing up the cliff-hangers.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:02 am Reply with quote
SEASON 2
Ep 3

So am I forgetting stuff as usual? Do we know who the 3 old folks who apparently aren't old are? Cheng seemed to know who they were, so I assume I should know, but have forgotten. I should watch the first season again. Oh no. Wink

Also, does anyone read Chinese? They didn't sub the writing on the back of the photo at the end. Sad

This series is so complicated I'm already somewhat lost, partly because I don't know most of the characters' names (sorry, but they all sound alike to my old western ears) so when people talk about other people, I often don't know who they mean. I need to make a character list with photos I guess. Embarassed
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:23 am Reply with quote
Maybe not the best, but I have been kind of missing the seeing life through others eyes thing rather than the main story.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:20 am Reply with quote
Forgot about this thread!

SEASON II EPISODE 4
Eu estaria mais satisfeito com a aparente comprovação da minha teoria de que essa segunda temporada da série começou de fato na metade do episódio anterior se eu não estivesse tão impressionado com o episódio.
Gente, Link Click VOLTOU MESMO.

Esse Li Haoling realmente sabe o que faz com o roteiro dessa série.
O episódio foi criando expectativa sobre os personagens tentando descobrir quem era aquela garota e o que ela queria, supostamente para depois também ir atrás dela, para no fim ela ir até eles.

Gente, o que está acontecendo?

Pelo menos pelo que posso ver até agora, quem tinha temores de que essa temporada poderia não agradar tanto quanto a primeira sem aquelas histórias episódicas não tem o que temer.

Deve ter menos histórias, mas ao invéz terá uma grande história, um grande caso de família para explorar ao longo dessa temporada.

Só que é um pouco covardia, fazer da garota muda mas também brilhantismo. Queremos tanto q ela fale e explique mas ela não pode falar! E isso exige mais do roteiro e animação, que nesse episódio entregou bastante. Como sempre Link Click tomando o risco de confiar q o espectador vai prestar atenção nos detalhes.
(ela estava "falando" no telefone com Qian Jin, como?)

Falando em Qian Lin, olha esse psicopata!
Pelo visto será um "vilão" divertido de acompanhar, porque apesar de ser corrupto e assassino ele também está usando o poder da garota para "fazer justiça"?

Para terminar, o obrigatório... "SALVE A EMMA!"

Xiaoshi, calado!
Seu derrotista!

E mais alguém pensa que poderiam fazer um artbook só com as roupas que a Qiao usa?

Some thoughts.

I think the brother and sister were unfortunately corrupted by Qian Lin's warped sense o "justice" (that he got after the law and justice "failed him").
Something bad must have happened with the brothers family. When it happened, I think Qian Lin that had gone independent got involved with their case and "adopted" the two. Because he was an adult lawyer "helping" them they trusted him. He discovered their powers and used this trust to make their help him "do justice'.

Thinking back at the first episode, I think what happened was that after the Company's information leaked an investigation pointed to Emma as the probably link. For the brothers point of view she did something "wrong", a crime, so she deserved to be punished. When Xiaoshi tried to revert her death the brother got mad at him because from his perspective he was helping the bad people. Don't help that the kid apparently enjoys hurting others so his perspective gets even more warped. But not his sister, Xixi. She probably doesn't enjoy hurting others, this episode even made a point of showing that she is a good and gently kid, so with time she may have started to understood better and want to put a stop to her bother and Qian Lin, and to this she need Lu Guang and Xiaoshi help because they also have powers.

So, there's not grand villain plan him, just some vigilant that doesn't care about using kids and some collateral damage to deal his own justice.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So am I forgetting stuff as usual? Do we know who the 3 old folks who apparently aren't old are? Cheng seemed to know who they were, so I assume I should know, but have forgotten. I should watch the first season again. Oh no. Wink

And so I did, and yes, I forgot an awful lot over the last year. Embarassed The 3 old folks are very definitely old (but don't say that to Father's face!!) but also the accomplished martial artists we met in S1 E5.5 (still don't know why they numbered it that way) and briefly in subsequent episodes. And they took on the identities of the 3 Star Warriors show from E6.

I also feel like I now have a better grasp on what was going on in the last couple episodes of S1. Time travel stuff generally messes with my linear brain I guess, and I couldn't quite get how the bad guy was both in the apt and the shop, until duh, it finally dawned on me that Cheng left the clue before he jumped and the guy came to the shop the day after he attacked Shanshan. It also doesn't help that there seems to be more than one body-leaper in play (besides Cheng).

So here's what's got me really stumped right now. Jin's eyes have that telltale yellow glow all the time, even back in his academy days. I don't know what to make of that. Also, it seemed like it was the masked person with pink hair (Xixi's brother??) who made Bin jump off the roof. Also once again confused on the timeline here - while Jin was visiting Bin's wife it was night, but her call to him in the car (while Jin listened in) took place during daylight. Is that a continuity error or what?
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Even during these episodes it reminded who the three are.
Remember during the fights, Xiaoshi remembering his training with Si Wen?
So, it's him, his wife and father-in-law, against whom he fought in that episode 5.5.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
So here's what's got me really stumped right now. Jin's eyes have that telltale yellow glow all the time, even back in his academy days. I don't know what to make of that. Also, it seemed like it was the masked person with pink hair (Xixi's brother??) who made Bin jump off the roof. Also once again confused on the timeline here - while Jin was visiting Bin's wife it was night, but her call to him in the car (while Jin listened in) took place during daylight. Is that a continuity error or what?

All events in episode 4 happened on a new day, you're really are having a hard time following the events.

Who killed Bin Chen was the henchman, when he got Lin Min phone.
The kid, "the girl", followed him and got the phone.
There's the suspicious that the two kids appeared, we didn't noticed because they are using the same clothes, but the bangs are different. And because the girl got Lin Min phone without Qian Lin knowing she may be trying to get herself and her brother free from Qian Lian with the help of the main due, but that phone call while Qian Lian was in the car have her saying that it's her plan to surrender to the police to fool them "before they discover". Discover what?
Seems like everyone have their own goals.

There's a lot of theories, one is that Qian Lin possessed himself from the future and reliving his life, that's why the always yellow yes.
I think that's is a possibility, because if you look at one of the official posters where all these important characters appear, in the distance there's one person that looks like a second Xiaoshi. He may be wandering for years in he back of the story.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:20 am Reply with quote
Well, yeah, I admitted I'm having trouble following it - watching anime with me is like watching tv with your mom ("Who's that guy? Why is he doing that?" Embarassed) But your explanation doesn't address my day/night question. We saw Cheng and Bin in the car talking to Bin's wife during the day. We also saw the other side of that same conversation and it appeared to be night.

When I mentioned Bin going off the roof I hadn't seen Ep 4 yet, so didn't know about the handoff. Even so, I thought it was possible henchthug tossed him. But still, since hooded person was apparently the one possessing him to get the phone, I just assumed there was no reason for thug to personally toss him after he got the phone. Just jump and bail from the possession.

I thought Xixi was too young/short to be the hooded person we saw now, but I guess I arbitrarily decided the picture wasn't that old. Smile

I kinda like that theory about Jin (as per the subs. I'm having enough trouble with names without adding in Lin/Lian), since it explains why he had the hooded person possess Bin instead of doing it himself (since he appears to have that power, but it's otherwise engaged).
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:25 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Well, yeah, I admitted I'm having trouble following it - watching anime with me is like watching tv with your mom ("Who's that guy? Why is he doing that?" Embarassed) But your explanation doesn't address my day/night question. We saw Cheng and Bin in the car talking to Bin's wife during the day. We also saw the other side of that same conversation and it appeared to be night.

Ah, I see now.
Maybe it's a different city with a different timezone.
On Xiaoshi and Bin side it was almost night anyway.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Bin's away from home a lot, but I don't think he's commuting that far for his job. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3