• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nobunaga the Fool (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:52 am Reply with quote
You know, if you're going to do several minutes of straight up "This is the premise of our show" narration, that's fine. But it really doesn't leave me with much patience for a bunch of subsequent "well as you know..." bad exposition dialogue. Also, pointless name dropping is very annoying (and it looks like they'll be doing some kind of dumb tarot card thing too). Finally, the show isn't very pleasant visually. Character designs are too busy and completely unfocused. I actually liked some of the CG initially. The big Samurai mechs actually somewhat okay. They at least have a fairly clean look and slow and smooth enough movement that they don't stand out as badly as usual. Unfortunately, the ones from the end of the episode are pretty much the opposite of that. Nothing really jumped out to me as awful mind you, so that's something. But thus far this show is hovering in distinctly sub-par territory.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:05 am Reply with quote
Episode one was pure chaos, and not the good kind. It was completely disorganized, even with the constant exposition. They threw so many different themes at me at once that it was like a meal cooked by an amateur with waaaay too many ingredients.

I never give up on a show after less than 3 episodes, but I have a really hard time seeing this one as a long term commitment.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
Two separate worlds with separate cultures, and spaceships fly between them? No problem.

Mecha in feudal Japan? Eh, I'm fine with that.

Japanese historical figures as bishies? Used to it already (thanks to Sengoku Basara).

Stupid masturbatory claiming of a heroine as part-Japanese (notice how Jeanne's middle name is Kaguya?) and her subsequent dumbing down from utter battlefield badass to weak-willed busty-blonde eye candy? I suppose it's tolerable, just.

All the above elements crammed into a poorly-written show where the plot is laughably bad, the characters are paper-thin and unsympathetic, and the action is lame and uninteresting? Not cool bro, not cool.
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I didn't realize it sooner, but when Nobunaga screamed in the battlefield, I had to pause and look up the actor. My suspicions were right. He's Miyano Mamoru and sounded like Okabe from Steins;Gate at that moment.

This show is so hilarious. What really got me was that the Japanese society, now fairly scientifically-minded with their future-modern technology, still looked upon the "falling star" as some kind of mystical omen. Hell, even one of the characters was aware that the west had star ships. Well I guess if tarot cards are reliable in this world, this kind of thinking seems reasonable. Overall, it seems like another fun show. I'll give it a few more eps.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I'd just like to open by saying that I want that dragon/pheonix tapestry from the intro bit. That thing looks absolutely awesome. The throne one too

http://imgur.com/5r5dzCh and http://imgur.com/FffenqR

I went into this show with mixed feelings because on one hand it apparently relies heavily on one of my most loathed anime tropes (the pointless application of famous characters) but a friend assured me it would be closer to Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, which I loved.

I never know if me not knowing much about feudal Japan is bad because I don't know the importance of half these people, or if it's good because I'm not annoyed when they crap all over their epic accomplishments. I mean, I recognize the names but I couldn't point to most of them in a Koei artbook. Rolling Eyes

I love the idea of a sword hilt being both the ignition key and the control handle for a giant robot.

... Ok, I have a confession to make. While watching the episode I paused at the halfway point and wrote "The world, while unique enough for an anime (par for the course in videogame), isn't particularly interesting enough and I don't care about any of the characters despite being very amused by their visual designs." in anticipation of how I thought my review was going to end. And I stand by that, while I'm laughing at most of the visual designs (Jeanne's still hot though) they do make me nostalgic for the era of terrible animes based on my favourite jRPGs.

But screw it all. This show is a heartless slab of pig dung generously layered on top of a mould-infested Furby. The writing and pacing is absolutely horrid, the music is all over the place and characters say stuff that contradicts stuff they just said moments earlier. I'm dropping this crap right now.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Count me as one of the people interested in the show. I really only came in the for the mecha but now I'm staying for more reasons; the concept of Nobunaga the Fool piques my interest. The premise of two different worlds with different cultures uniting sounds pretty awesome to me. Nobunaga the Fool may be damn inaccurate with its historical portrayals but if I wanted to watch history, I'd go to the History Channel.

Generic #757858 wrote:
"Who cares, it's just gaijin history anyway." Wink

More like, "History be damn! We'll make our own!" Laughing
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:43 am Reply with quote
I loved the first episode of this, reminded me of something Imaishi would make.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
^^
Why would you go to the History Channel if you wanted to see history?

I couldn't understand half of what was going on, and it kind of felt like they took a bunch of shopworn ideas, threw them in a blender, and hoped something cool would pour out.

But it's colorful and nice character designs and kind of interesting, so I'll at least stick around a few more episodes.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Based on episode 1 this show seemed pretty much meh, maybe I'll give it one more before deciding about it.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
For anyone annoyed with historical names being thrown around, Ep 2 is no more of an improvement.

From the get go, this series already wanted some form of an ensemble cast, so this episode establishes that Hideyoshi has a knack for learning the operations of foreign built machinery (and it doesn't hurt that his teacher is an inventor genius of sorts), alternatively Mitsuhide is the analyst of sorts and already surmises that unleashing da Vinci's war armor would spell open war across the Eastern world due to it's potential to shift the balance of power.

da Vinci seems to play a shrewd role, for now he simply acts as the eccentric inventor, weather it pans at to something greater or will be flubbed just to have another hammy character beside Nobu remains to be seen.

Jeanne currently is, unmistakably, the fifth wheel at this point of the narrative, this will bother the viewership that is expecting pretty much ANYTHING other than a wallflower character that exists to be the "pretty foreign girl".
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I had a lot more fun with the second episode than the first, so I think I'll stick around for a while. Laughing I can't wait to see anime Oda Nobunaga #32355436 save Japan from the evil foreigners!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Well I found this one to also be terrible. How exactly did Da Vinci (which is a terrible name as we are pretty much calling him "from Venice" instead of his name) and Jeanne (who has done pretty much nothing) suddenly end up on the wrong side of Arthur, I did not really feel much of a smooth transition. Also if we call Leonardo "Da Vinci" why don't we practically call Jeanne, "D'Ark (of Ark).

Next complaint, using the setting of the round table, while fine mostly I do think there might be something unfitting when one of the people attending has a chair off the table and floats above the others. It pretty much goes right against the main theme of the round table that everyone was supposed to have equal status with no one at the head.

Did we really need Hideyoshi acting like a creep and trying to feel up Jeanne? Who is that scene for? And I have yet to see something I like about Nobunaga, he apparently hates carnage but had no trouble in killing the two in robot suits. He is apparently easy going but seems to be the type that has plans, passing a gift he received off to someone else and showing off. One second brash and then deep the next, I find him too contradictory to be more than shallowly trying to make the audience love him.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
Nice mecha fight ^^
That Nobunaga sure has a talent for fighting.
His hair style looks a lot like Takuto's from Star Driver.
It's nice to see that unusual style again.
Leonardo has a knack for stirring up trouble..
Jeanne & Nobunaga, what an unimaginable duo.
It's so weird seeing so many famous historical/legendary people in one anime.
Hideyoshi must be that one comic relief character... what an idiot.
Jeanne is giving off an all-boobs-no-brains-vibe; at least for now.
Very interesting and promising anime.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Did we really need Hideyoshi acting like a creep and trying to feel up Jeanne?

It is undoubtedly to show off the difference between the trio, Hideyoshi means well but is impulsive, Nobu is calculating but certainly would want to act similarly, and this version of Mitsuhide could straight up be Yaoi for Nobu and see Jeanne as a threat (alternatively, Mitsuhide could just be wary of any outsider, especially when said outsiders comes all the way from another planet).
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Aww crap, double post.

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6