• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cross Game (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rti9

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Despite the efforts of us reviewers to say glorious things about it during the Spring Preview Guide, it still feels like the hidden gem of the new season.

Couldn't this be the usual reluctance of western anime fans to watch sports shows? You said it yourself, "Sports anime normally doesn't interest me at all".

rainbowcourage wrote:
At this point, I'm just waiting for Kou to kick some serious Azuma ass. I enjoyed episode 7's focus on Aoba, but by God they're doing a painstaking suspenseful build-up.

Perhaps you're feeling this way because you are expecting a 26 episode show. Mitsuru Adachi's big hit, Touch, had 101 episodes. Other TV shows that came from his work had 37, 41, and 48 episodes. I haven't seen the other shows, but Touch has a very gentle pace.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:

rainbowcourage wrote:
At this point, I'm just waiting for Kou to kick some serious Azuma ass. I enjoyed episode 7's focus on Aoba, but by God they're doing a painstaking suspenseful build-up.

Perhaps you're feeling this way because you are expecting a 26 episode show. Mitsuru Adachi's big hit, Touch, had 101 episodes. Other TV shows that came from his work had 37, 41, and 48 episodes. I haven't seen the other shows, but Touch has a very gentle pace.

Regardless of what I was expecting (and actually I had no expectations) I'm pretty sure I'll get what I'm looking for in episode 9. Episode 8 + the preview made it pretty clear that the big day is going to be a success for Kou. Woot!
usagi_joou

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Cross Game is absolutely my favorite show of the season. That's actually very funny, because I know absolutely nothing about baseball.
In my neck of the woods everybody plays soccer and hokey - and no baseball Laughing I never thought I'll someday will be sorry about something like that.Laughing
Well, I even googled a bit to learn some necessary minimum. Now, at least, I know that batter and pitcher are from opposing teams Laughing

And it really seems Cross Game will be a long series considering that manga is ongoing. But I don't mind because every episode is a gem (hope this won't change).
The story seems so simple and natural yet complicated.

I agree with Key's complaint about "total-bastard-type" antagonists, but I expect some development in these characters too.

One thing that made me sad is a manga spoiler I occasionally saw in Wiki. They said that spoiler[Kou starts dating some other girl, not Aoba] Hope it won't last long Confused
rti9

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:54 am Reply with quote
usagi_joou wrote:
That's actually very funny, because I know absolutely nothing about baseball.

To say that knowing the game to enjoy this show doesn't matter would be erroneous, but Cross Game aims to garner a wider crowd rather than just people who like baseball. The first season of Touch (from the same author) focuses much more on the relationship between the three main characters. The series as a whole balanced romance/drama/sports extremely well and to me it explains why it is one of the most popular anime ever in Japan (7th highest average TV viewership of an animation in the country according to Video Research Ltd.). Although Cross Game is now focusing on baseball much more, the director is balancing the drama/sports very harmoniously.

I also like that since baseball is so popular in Japan, this show doesn't waste time explaining the basics. There should be other ways of exposing the game mechanics other than the usual character who has zero knowledge about the specific subject. Too commonplace. I'd also like to point out that sometimes knowing the game doesn't matter at all. I doubt most westerners had any contact at all with Go (game) before watching Hikaru no Go.

Like Key, I also really like a story of how deeply a person can affect so many people years after she is long gone. If you ever had a truly charismatic person close to you, it's really easy to relate to the story. Maybe a little controversial, but I also really like the relationship between Koh and Momiji (the youngest sister). Today's anime market emphasizes so heavily in fan service whenever it can that I can't help but to be genuinely happy to watch a non-creepy "big brother" type of relationship. Kinda like Yotsuba&.

On another note, it would be interesting to hear comparisons with Big Windup now that ANN is streaming it. This show focuses much more on the game and I would tend to believe they appeal less to the... hm... hard core baseball and anime fans. I'm thinking along the lines of "if you had a friend who isn't a baseball fan nor an anime fan, would you rather show Cross Game or Big Windup to him/her? It would also be interesting if people enjoyed both, but would say "watch this one first, then this".

Last edited by rti9 on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
usagi_joou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
To say that knowing the game to enjoy this show doesn't matter would be erroneous, but Cross Game aims to garner a wider crowd rather than just people who like the baseball. The first season of Touch (from the same author) focuses much more on the relationship between the three main characters.

I'm currently watching Touch Very Happy It's now about episode 37 for me. Rules of the game become really clearer now. And moreover it seems I'm growing to like baseball . Maybe I should try Big Windup too Wink
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Caught up with most of Cross Game up through episode 9. The "dump" faces off against the "elites." I like how the anime spoiler[doesn't make Kou perfect at pitching. I also love how the elite's coach use of Aoba backfired, and she became a font of information for the dump. I'm waiting for Azuma to eat it big time... I hope.]

The animation style took some getting used to (the ears still kinda bother me; I always think of doughnuts when I see them), but I really really enjoy the story. One of the few spring anime that I'm continuing to stick with. It's almost over according to ANN's episode count; I really hope they continue with this so I can see more of the story develop.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 11 is up, and - wow. I think I can honestly say that I've never before found an animated depiction of baseball (or really just about any organized sport) so involving. The end of the game was beautifully handled, and while I expected it would probably come down to something like that given the director's style, it nonetheless was quite satisfying, too.

Great stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:23 am Reply with quote
Sweet, I'm excited because I thought this was going to be a short season, but I see it's been changed in the encyclopedia to 26 eps! Could've sworn I just checked it and it said 13, but I'm so happy. I became suspicious when the preview for ep. 12 had a new character, as that would be an odd time to introduce someone.

Ep. 11 was a fabulous episode. I liked the way it ended, and the prefab coach is so sneaky, hehe. I like how Azuma is an honest player, even if he doesn't have the best temperament.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 is another neat episode, though exactly why it's neat may not become apparent until practically the final scene. Scenes like that, and what it means, are what make this series special.

I am also happy to hear that this will be a 26-ep series. Gives more time for Aoba to finally give Ko a break. . . Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Darc_knight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
If you simply believe this anime is another baseball/sports anime then you are wrong. And if you still believe it after watching episode 1, then you are on crack. Like many others have said, this anime contains baseball,romance, drama and comedy. The baseball is just an addition to the overall drama and growth of characters. If you solely want an anime for its sports features and the intensity of it, then watch something like Prince of Tennis. However, if you want a better package and like an anime for what it's worth, watch this. Like i stated it before in in my prev post, after watching episode 1 i was instantly hooked. spoiler[The drama fell from episode one, but the story has slowly progressed. Now after episode 12, we get to see a little closer bond between Kou and Aoba, even though it is still far from being something meaningful.]
But the concern that comes from this anime so far for me is that the drama and romance might ultimately disappear and or be forgotten. I was hoping this show to be similar to Suzuka, having both the romance/drama and sports features, but that hope might get decimated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
flawful

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I am also happy to hear that this will be a 26-ep series. Gives more time for Aoba to finally give Ko a break. . . Rolling Eyes

Its actually going to be 51 episodes.

Darc_knight wrote:
But the concern that comes from this anime so far for me is that the drama and romance might ultimately disappear and or be forgotten. I was hoping this show to be similar to Suzuka, having both the romance/drama and sports features, but that hope might get decimated.

You don't have anything to worry about, unless the anime decides to stay wildly from the manga. If anything baseball takes more of a backseat from this point on.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:01 am Reply with quote
Just got done with episode 14, and it finally seems like this show had a almost complete filler episode. Not that I really care, it just kinda bummed me that nothing really happened. And I dont like the new ED theme Crying or Very sad

But holy crap, it looks like the next episodes are gonna be gooood Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Nah, there was nothing "filler" about that episode. spoiler[Azuma's brother (who looks like he's going to be in the picture for a while) got introduced, the "center fielder" comment didn't seem innocent at all, things played out at Koshien just like Azuma expected, and Aoba's creds as being "in demand" as a girl, and not just an athlete, got much more firmly established.]

And wow, but Aoba looked good (but in a tasteful way!) in that swimsuit. The closer, however, was definitely giving her more of a sexpot image, and I'm not so convinced that sets well with the series' tone. I found the song less objectionable, though.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Nah, there was nothing "filler" about that episode.

Yeah, I guess the word "filler" isnt really appropriate. It was an episode that set the stage for things to come. It just felt kinda light on the story progression I guess. And since most of the anime I've seen has been in the 26 or less episode run, I haven't had to deal with actual "filler" episodes very often.

Quote:

The closer, however, was definitely giving her more of a sexpot image, and I'm not so convinced that sets well with the series' tone.
This is my main complaint about the new closer. It just didn't seem well suited for this series. That, and I just preferred the original ending song more Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rti9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:16 am Reply with quote
spoiler[YES! Azuma and Kitamura on the same team. HELL YEAH!]

Interesting that Ko and Aoba should be the romantic pair of this show, but for that to happen they will have to confront their feelings toward Wakaba. It's very moving how they love her so much. At the same time it's extremely sad. It's hard to say what they are supposed to do. It's easy to think of them as a couple, but if I had someone close to me in the same situation I'd be completely lost on how to advice him/her. "Moving on" or "accepting her death" seem very inappropriate. Awkward situation that they can't start a relationship because it would be like betraying Wakaba.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11